[Mailman-Developers] Should Mailman provide periodic activity summaries to list owners?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri May 22 10:58:13 CEST 2009

There's already a script, "mmdsr" knocking about that does this. There's a
version at
<http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/mailman/mailman-126.1/mailman/contrib/>,
but I'm not sure whether it's the latest version

--On 22 May 2009 13:27:35 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
wrote:

> A quick search didn't find anything, so I'll do a more careful check
> and if there's nothing I'll add a tracker RFE and a short wiki page of
> the imagined feature, probably on Monday.  Unfortunately, I can't
> volunteer to implement at this time.
>
> Details:
>
> I noticed that we've been getting a lot of posts from users who are
> being quite diligent about following up on their own issues, to the
> extent of their knowledge and accesses, but for one reason or another
> are not using the logs.
>
> Would it be desirable and feasible to send a periodic (options: daily,
> weekly, monthly, never) activity summary to list owners (similar to
> the tracker summaries that many trackers send to associated mailing
> lists)?
>
> If someone's list is having problems, then they could get access via
> the admin interface, which would simply wrap the text report which
> would be generated for mailing in an HTML PRE element, making for
> trivial implementation (once the report itself is implemented, of
> course).
>
> Something like
>
> Week of May 17-23, 2009
>
> 44 incoming messages processed (42 posts, 2 other)
>
> 1 message automatically discarded
> 2 messages held (1 non-member, 1 spam filter) of which
>   2 messages were approved
> 41 messages distributed to members
> 2 weekly digests produced (maximum size reached 1 time(s))
> 20 SMTP errors occurred of which
>   18 posts handled normally by bounce processing
>   2 subscription requests (probable backscatter)
>
> Abstract of discarded messages
>
> From: hormel at 163.com    To: resident at whitehouse.gov
> Subject: We cannot transfer $1 million to you without account information
>
> Abstract of held messages not configured.
>
> Abstract of SMTP errors not configured.

> c.uk

Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex