[Mailman-Developers] Set cookies for global authentication

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Mon May 18 02:31:37 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 08:10:54PM -0500, Hopkins, Justin wrote:
> One issue that has come up among the membership
> is the desire to authenticate only once and then be permitted to access
> the private archives for all lists that they are subscribed to without
> logging in again.
>
> Has anyone worked on changing this functionality, or is it planned for

Hum, we're sort of doing something like that, at least for
lists-admin.

    <https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/rlog?f=mysociety/lists/web-admin/lists/mailmanlogin.cgi>
(<http://is.gd/AO16>)

might be a starting point for you.

(and also
    <https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/dir?d=mysociety/lists/web-admin/lists/mailman>
(<http://is.gd/AO1s>))

(In our case authentication works via Apache Basic Auth, unix groups,
and password-generation scripts
    <https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/rlog?f=mysociety/bin/htpasswd_import_users>
(<http://is.gd/AO1Z>)

it should be quite trivial to implement using LDAP, too.)

--
``What lawyers call intellectual property is
  no more than theft from the public domain.''  (Andy Mueller-Maguhn)