[Mailman-Developers] very large lists

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 17:37:55 CEST 2009

--On 2 June 2009 10:11:44 -0400 Bob Puff <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:

> [...]

If your messages aren't personalised, you can do the verp in your MTA. Then
your Mailman server could deliver one message per recipient _domain_,
instead of one per recipient. And, if you're out of server resource, you
could build a cluster. If it's CPU bound, then multiple queue runners may
help if you have multiple processor cores.

We got huge improvements delivering mail when we introduced parallel q
runners. Our problem was that delivery to small but time sensitive lists
was held up when someone sent mail to a large list. So, it still takes a
while to deliver to a large list, but other jobs aren't held up.

> I'm not sure its physically possible to deliver a million emails in a
> matter of a few minutes or even a few hours, unless its a bot-net! :-)
> Even on a 100mb link, I would expect more on the order of many hours.
> Messages would be sent at a maximum of one per week.

Well, you didn't say that your client wasn't gmail, for example!
>> If you don't need personalised messages, then you can do the VERP in
>> your MTA. That should make it much more feasible. Configure Mailman
>> with several parallel queue runners to prevent messages to large
>> lists from holding up messages to small lists.
>
> What and where would be the config statement specifying the number of
> queue runners?

we have this, in mm_cfg.py:

# Which queues should the qrunner master watchdog spawn?  This is a list of
# 2-tuples containing the name of the qrunner class (which must live in a
# module of the same name within the Mailman.Queue package), and the number
of
# parallel processes to fork for each qrunner.  If more than one process is
# used, each will take an equal subdivision of the hash space.

# BAW: Eventually we may support weighted hash spaces.
# BAW: Although not enforced, the # of slices must be a power of 2

QRUNNERS = [
    ('ArchRunner',     4), # messages for the archiver
    ('BounceRunner',   4), # for processing the qfile/bounces directory
    ('CommandRunner',  4), # commands and bounces from the outside world
    ('IncomingRunner', 4), # posts from the outside world
    ('NewsRunner',     4), # outgoing messages to the nntpd
    ('OutgoingRunner', 32), # outgoing messages to the smtpd
    ('VirginRunner',   4), # internally crafted (virgin birth) messages
    ('RetryRunner',    4), # retry temporarily failed deliveries
    ]

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex