[Mailman-Developers] very large lists

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 11:49:39 CEST 2009

--On 2 June 2009 00:16:39 -0400 Bob Puff <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I have a customer who wants a one-way distribution list set up that will
> handle millions of recipients... like 10 million.  It is a double opt-in,
> and its not spam.. <g>
>
> I'm thinking this is probably too much for MM 2 to handle.  Will MM3 be
> able to scale to this size?
>
> If anyone has suggestions for me for current software that can do this,
> feel free to email me off-list.  Bounce processing is important, as is
> user management.

You've not specified the problem very clearly. How frequently do you expect
to send messages to this list? Do you have several lists? How urgent are
the messages? Do they need to be delivered in the space of a few minutes,
hours, or days?

If you don't need personalised messages, then you can do the VERP in your
MTA. That should make it much more feasible. Configure Mailman with several
parallel queue runners to prevent messages to large lists from holding up
messages to small lists.

> Bob

> c.uk

Ian Eiloart