[Mailman-Developers] Merge requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 31 03:22:33 CEST 2009

Ryan Jud Hughes wrote:

>Hi.  I have done some mailman development for one of our customers.  I
>developed four separate features.  I'd like to send these features back
>upstream, and hopefully get them merged into the code base.  I'm told that
>submitting bzr merge requests is the right way to do this.

An actual merge proposal is a LaunchPad thing so in order to to that,
you have to push your branches to Launchpad. See
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/MailmanOnLaunchpad> for more on this.

>However, I'm new to bzr, so I'm not really sure how to do this.  I'm
>familiar with git, but I don't think that git has this "merge request"
>feature.
>
>I've got the features separated into four bzr branches based off of 2.1.
>What do I do next?  bzr send?  It said there wasn't a mailto address
>listed.  Should I bzr send -o to a file and then upload that file
>somewhere?  Should I register a new branch in launchpad and then push my
>stuff there?  The box with my bzr branches is behind a nat -- is that
>going to be a problem?
>
>If someone could point me to a FAQ or a document about submitting these
>things through launchpad, that would be great.

The above wiki page should help.

You don't need to push your branches to LaunchPad in particular, but
they do need to be accessable. If they can be accessed through your
NAT by outsiders, it would be OK to just post here and give some info
on what your changes do and how to access your branches. If they
aren't accessable to outsiders where they are, pushing them to LP is
the best option.