[Mailman-Developers] Doubt about security

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 19:46:21 CET 2009

    >> Maybe all that's necessary is to install cgi-bin/create as
    >> cgi-bin/create.disabled by default, set its permissions to not allow
    >> execution and add a note to the installation docs about the
    >> consequences of through-the-web list creation and how to set it up.

    Adam> Or perhaps those responsible for the set-up look at what's being
    Adam> set-up, and take responsibility/make the choice themselves?

People don't work that way.  I was a Unix admin back in the day when
virtually anybody could login to prep.ai.mit.edu.  Wide open systems were
probably wrong then and they are certainly wrong now.  It's simply foolish
to distribute software which by default has doors which are either open or
easily opened.

    Adam> From memory, and on Debian/FBSD systems at least, setting up
    Adam> Mailman still requires intervention to sort out the
    Adam> web-interface/MTA integration -- even when packaged -- : that's
    Adam> good enough, imo.

That's only one type of system.  It hardly represents the entire universe of
possible platforms.  Last time I looked Debian+FreeBSD didn't represent the
bulk of the servers on the Internet.  For better or worse I suspect that
distinction probably goes to Windows.

At work, for example, we run it on Solaris.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't
installed from some turnkey package.  I'm similarly sure whoever installed
it wasn't a sophisticated Mailman user and wasn't aware of the
cgi-bin/create script.  Does Mailman run on Windows?  If so, you're going to
have problems.  If not, then you are going to have people unfamiliar with
Unix systems (that is, people who only know Windows) installing it.  Damned
if you do.  Damned if you don't.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/