[Mailman-Developers] Doubt about security

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 5 18:51:00 CET 2009

Edilson Azevedo wrote:

> But, I've a last doubt: Which the advantage in keep the creation of lists
>open for the world? what would be the real advantage? I need to understand
>before block the access.

You may have people within your organization or trusted customers or
whatever, depending on your circumstances, who you want to be able to
create lists even though they don't have the ability to run
bin/newlist on the Mailman server.

In this case, you would use bin/mmsitepass -c to set a list creator
password which you would share with these people so they could create
lists via the web.

Or, (this is a stretch) you might find yourself in a situation where
you need to create a list, but in that particular situation, you have
web access to the server but not shell access, and you could create a
list via the web with the Mailman site password.

If none of this applies to you, you don't need web create ability.