[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 and LTMP

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 11:09:53 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 12:06 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Finally, I would like to get input from MTA experts on this list as to
> the best way to integrate the various MTAs with Mailman's LMTP
> server.  Specifically, I'm looking at fixing and improving bin/
> genaliases for each of the MTAs.  I've looked at Postfix's
> documentation, but sadly to me it seems quite lacking as to best
> recommendations.  I know Exim and Sendmail support LTMP, but I don't
> have as much experience with hooking them up.

I use Exim's LMTP support over unix domain sockets, so I've added a few
notes about it on the wiki page you mention.

With regards genaliases and exim, I'd imagine that most users are happy
with the current genaliases output, as for non-lmtp connections it can
be used directly, or simply the existence of a line can be tested.

I must confess, I don't use it at all, since Mailman runs on the same
node as Exim, I check directly for the list's existence by looking for
its directory, and use a generic transport that copes with the suffix.

Simon.