[Mailman-Developers] Mailman-Developers list's welcome mailformatting errors

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 21 05:56:14 CET 2009

Gabor FUNK wrote:

>Just subscribed.
>I take this broken recently or noone read or cared to report that this
>list's welcome mail have some "problems".
>
>Header says, it is:
>[so it is not my mailer broken]
>
>but body contains "&lt;"-s instead of "<"-s.
>">"-s seems to be ok.

Thank you for your report. This was an artifact of an old HTML
sanitizing method used to protect the web interface from XSS attacks.

I have corrected that portion of the welcome message and also updated
some other old information. The new list specific portion of the
welcome is now as follows:

is for discussion of the Mailman mailing list management system.  It
is open to people interested in improving the usability of the system,
including end users as well as mailing list managers and development
coders.  All new subscribers are moderated to ensure that the list
stays on topic.

There is a separate mailing list for people interested in discussion
regarding configuring and using the system -- mailman-users.  You can
find out more information about this list at
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users>.  Most first
time posts that are rejected by the moderators are rejected because
they belong on -users.  Please do not send posts about
using/configuring mailman to -dev, only posts about developing belong
on -dev.

There is also an announce-only mailing list mailman-announce (see
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-announce>), and a
mailing list for following the developers Bazaar checkins as they're
issued, see
<http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-checkins>.  The
listinfo page includes (brief) instructions for hooking up to the
Bazaar repository over the net, for read-only access to the active
development tree.

If you want to report a bug in Mailman, scan previously reported bugs,
submit patches, etc., please start with the Launchpad Mailman Project
page at <https://launchpad.net/mailman/>.  You might also want to
check out the Mailman home page at <http://www.list.org/>.

You might want to start by reading the Mailman FAQ (see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/AgA3>).  Also check out the searchable
archives at
<http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-developers%40python.org/>.

Note that this list is closed to postings from non-subscribers, and
that all posts made to the list will be publicly archived.

In order to protect the integrity of the list archives, we do not
routinely agree to remove or obscure posts that are in the archives.
We only do this in exceptional circumstances such as if someone has
posted personal/private information about someone else, or an
obviously private e-mail has accidentally been posted to the list.

Please remember to use mailman-users for posts regarding configuring
and using mailman, posts that are not regarding development.

The Mailman Security Policy is detailed in FAQ 1.27 at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/QIA9>.

Before posting any messages to this mailing list, please make sure
that you have read and understood this policy.