[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code from Mailman 3

Dale Newfield dale at newfield.org
Mon Aug 31 22:41:28 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> Now I can hit 'reply' and inject myself seamlessly into that 2 year
>>> old thread.
>>
>> As long as the mailing list name/address hasn't migrated/changed in
>> the interim...
>
> Good point.
>
>> ...perhaps the original message munged to ensure current accuracy of
>> the to/cc/reply-to fields?
>
> Not sure I understand; can you elaborate?

We can tell from a mailing list's configuration what the distribution
address should be, but I guess we don't know what previous addresses it
had, so it's not as simple as I was thinking to do this munging (I was
thinking just a search/replace).

Maybe the appropriate modifications from the original message would be
to add as a "To" address the current list address iff it does not appear
in the To or CC addresses in the archived message (and to re-set
ReplyTo, if reply-to-munging is set).

-Dale