[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code from Mailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 31 20:22:52 CEST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 12:21 AM, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

> Yes. It is critical to keep user perception in mind. Specifically,
> if you
> don't keep email addresses off the global search engines, there will
> be a
> deluge of vocal complaints from users who neither care about nor
> understand
> the technical aspects. That can be as simple as robots.txt
> configuration, or
> as fancy as using a captcha based system to reveal addresses like
> the one
> offered by reCaptcha. But my main point is you need to cover the user
> perception angle almost independtly from the core technical aspects of
> anti-harvesting.
>
> For the record, I prefer keeping data as unadulterated as possible
> because
> it helps interoperability. But we also need to keep users happy.

Trust me, I'm keenly aware of this as I probably get 3x the nasty hate
mail that most of you get.  I try to be nice and patient and that
usually calms people down. :)

Mailman will always still collect the raw data for messages sent to
the list.  There are legitimate uses for allowing outsiders access to
that data (say, the list is moving and you want to migrate the
archives), so I think we always want to support this.  The question is
how much if any of the raw data does the general public get access to?

-Barry