[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code fromMailman 3

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 12:36:07 CEST 2009

--On 24 August 2009 13:15:03 -0500 "Hopkins, Justin"
<hopkinsju at umsystem.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for such a detailed and compelling post..but I must disagree. I
> can't refute any of the arguments you made, they are all quite sound, but
> I do take issue with your conclusion.
>
> Obfuscating the email addresses is just a part of 'defense in depth' -
> same as patching your computer, using a firewall, etc. Each layer, no
> matter how thin, still adds something.
>
> Cheers,
> Justin

Quite right. Rich's argument is, essentially, that obfuscation isn't 100%
effective so it shouldn't be used. Frankly, if it's 10% effective, then
it's worth doing in my view.

Further, Rich offers no evidence of significant harm done by obfuscation.

Finally, there are other privacy concerns than spam harvesting that may
also be mitigated by address obfuscation.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex