[Mailman-Developers] mailman 3: webinterface: prototype (PDF)

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Thu Apr 23 17:16:24 CEST 2009

Greetings,

following our discussions at the Pycon 2009 Mailman sprint I've come up with
first draft of a/the future mailman 3 web interface.

The interface has changed a lot. Changes follow these principles:

  * Simplify interface
  * Focus on tasks
  * Order and sort by task recurrance
  * Reduce information overflow e.g. by hiding help messages
  * Show help messages as bubbles when selected by user
  * Remove instructions on using a web from
  * Use default button texts e.g. "Save" instead of "Submit your changes"
  See also: <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Rest+client>

I've come up with a paper prototype, which you can download in an annotated
PDF by clicking at "Mailman webinterface draft" at the following location:

  <http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Information+Architecture>

  Important
  The version you can download is _not a design_. It's a grid that creates a
  structure, puts elements we need on a (HTML) page, orders and groups them
  following the principles I've outlined above.

Please feel free to comment on it and ask questions. I've spent the last 5
days clicking the old interface, thinking and sitting before my current
proposal - I just might be blind to my own stupidity or brain dead by now. ;)

My goal is to agree on an information architecture, so we can go on and
create a design that combines functional requirements and aesthetics.

Once we've agreed on a design, we will create HTML templates and then we will
put them together with the upcoming REST client.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Agentur für Kommunikation, Design und Softwareentwicklung

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15	   Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666