[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Extend.py

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Apr 18 00:32:18 CEST 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Chris Nulk wrote:

> It was just for the other "list of email addresses" options I was
> curious about.  If they are defined by a backend database, am I
> restricted to the same backend database as I am using for members
> list?
> Or, can I use a different backend for each of the "list of email
> addresses" options whether it be LDAP, MySQL, Postgresql, etc. or any
> combination of the mix?

In thinking about this a bit more, for MM3, you might in fact be able
to get away with just re-implementing the roster layer.  It's rosters
that tell mailing lists two important facts: 1) who gets to post to a
mailing list and 2) who gets delivery of posted messages.  Rosters are
really just queries, they have no persistent storage themselves.  So
while I still think it would take some clever programming, it should
be possible to keep user information in the RDBMS and provide for
subscription information by LDAP.

> Now, about an LDAP interface to MM3 (or possibly making the MM2 more
> complete), is anyone interested in what ideas I have thought about?
> If
> so, a new thread should probably be started.

Sure, I'd like to hear it because I think this will be an interesting
use case.

-Barry