[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Extend.py

C Nulk CNulk at scu.edu
Tue Apr 7 18:22:01 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have recently implemented the LDAPMembership adapter.  It provides
some good functionality in creating the list membership.  However, the
concept is there to provide access to one or more lists of email
addresses (list membership is essentially a list of email addresses).  I
would like to use the LDAP functionality in other areas which require or
use a list of email addresses (e.g. accept_these_nonmembers,
hold_these_nonmembers, etc).

I have looked at the F.A.Q. on custom handlers and read the MailList.py
file (under __init__) to see the 'extend.py' file being loaded.

Can someone better explain how loading the 'extend.py' file incorporates
the files code and how the 'def extend' function is called?  If I can
understand how it works, perhaps, a solution to adding multiple LDAP
search queries can be added to the extend.py file and used in other
places in Mailman.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. When explaining, please realize I am moving from knowing absolutely
nothing about Python to knowing next to nothing. :):)