[Mailman-Developers] Putting the FAQ link in with error messages?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Apr 2 20:58:26 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:
 > This is a very interesting idea.  When you say "error messages" do you
 > mean e.g. Python tracebacks and such?  In that case, we may not have to
 > worry about translators, for example we don't translate log messages.

I had tracebacks in mind.  If those are the easiest things to do, let's
start there. :)

 > It would mean going through various exceptions that Mailman raises and
 > adding information to tie it to a FAQ entry (or as you point out, more
 > easily just the top wiki link).

Again, in the spirit of making this as easy as possible, let's just try
to get the top wiki / doc link in there.  For one, it's less likely to
change.

 >Tougher would be to attach FAQ links to
 > exceptions that Python throws that percolate up to the top interpreter
 > loop.  Still, it's a really interesting idea to pursue, and it would
 > make for a neat general Python facility.

I'm curious to take a look myself, but I know I likely won't get to this
'till the end of the month, so if anyone else is curious, don't feel
you'll be stepping on my toes!

Gero Eggers wrote:
> I'd like to throw in the idea of not using a wiki URL, but a more
> generic one that is http-redirected to the current, software-specific URL.
>
> example:
> output URL: http://www.list.org/faq/4.36
> redirect to: -> http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030705

I think the best URL for now would be having http://list.org/doc be
something equivalent to what I have on http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Home

I do like the idea of making the FAQ have short links like that, though.
  The ones generated by the wiki aren't as easy to guess at.  I imagine
it  wouldn't be hard to write a script...

Maybe I should take another stab at modernizing and reorganizing the web
site? ;) [1]

  Terri

[1] http://terri.zone12.com/mm-website/