[Mailman-Developers] "Orignal" MySQL Member Adaptor - 1.71

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Sep 26 20:02:05 CEST 2008

kyrian (List) wrote:

>Fil wrote:
>>> Incidentally, since Fil seems to be taking all the credit for what I
>>> started I think he should actually put a proper credit in there for me,
>>> linking to my business website at http://www.orenet.co.uk/ rather than
>>> the vague passing mentions that are in the docs/code of his version of
>>> the system at the present time.
>>>

>> I'm sorry if I did anything not appropriate. From what you see in the code
>> http://trac.rezo.net/trac/rezo/browser/Mailman/MySQLMemberAdaptor/MysqlMemberships.py
>> it seems that the mention you require is there.
>Yes, that's good, although it's just a copy from my original code ;-)

I'm guilty of referring to "Fil's MySQLMemberAdaptor" in various list
postings. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

[...]
>In order for that to happen, and for either version to be incorporated
>into Mailman 'proper', an agreement needs to be reached (and I may be
>out of date here, and one already has) betwen you, perhaps me, and the
>core mailman developers about how to solve at least the following:
>
>- The conflict between the old pickle way of doing things of iterating
>over a get-singular-record method numerous times rather than a
>grab-multiple-records-and-return-in-the-right-format which is more the
>way SQL works effectively. Whether that's a rewrite, or some way of
>overriding the existing methods to implement them better, I don't know.
>Perhaps I can look into this soon. Any hints from the core guys?

Mailman 3 supports a real user database back end. Barry has been doing
all the work on this, and I'm not up to speed having spent all my time
on 2.1/2.2, so I can't comment intelligently on details, but that's
where we're headed.