[Mailman-Developers] SpamBayes for gate_news - who can test?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 29 20:09:02 CET 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:

>So I come, hat in hand, looking for some brave Mailman developer who is
>willing to test out my modified version of gate_news.  You can grab the
>latest version from Launchpad:
>
>    bzr pull lp:~smontanaro/mailman/SpamBayes
>
>There is an associated doc repo with a few instructions for setting up the
>SpamBayes stuff:
>
>    bzr pull lp:~smontanaro/mailman-administrivia/SpamBayes
>
>A sample spambayes.ini file lives in the cron directory alongside gate_news.
>It's basically what I would use on mail.python.org if I had the necessary
>savvy to do this myself.
>
>If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.  I can help you get
>SpamBayes installed if you've never done that before.  (It's quite
>straightforward if you're familiar with the normal Python setup.py thing or
>use setuptools.)  I can also provide ham and spam training sets from
>mail.python.org so you can construct a useful database for SpamBayes to
>score messages against.  (You could run with an empty training database but
>that would just cause all messages to score as "unsure" and be held as
>possible spam.)

Skip,

I have installed SpamBayes and am running your modified gate_news. The
test list is <http://www.msapiro.net/mailman/listinfo/python> and it
is gating comp.lang.python from news.bu.edu.

Currently I have

#BAYESCUSTOMIZE=/usr/local/mailman/cron/spambayes.ini

in mailman's crontab. I.e. it is commented out so SpamBayes is not
actually being invoked.

I could use the training sets and some advice on how to proceed.
Presumably the files

lookup_ip_cache:/usr/local/spambayes-corpus/dnscache.pck
crack_image_cache:/usr/local/spambayes-corpus/imagecache.pck
persistent_storage_file:/etc/spambayes/wordprobs.cdb

referenced in your spambayes.ini get created when the training sets are
processed, but I'm unclear on that part of the process.