[Mailman-Developers] Feature question: mailAlternateAddress

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 10:52:07 CET 2008

Hi folks,

Asking here because I saw the note to keep 3.0 discussion off -users.

One of the features that would be nice for my site, and I'm sure others,
would be support for alternate addresses for users.  For example, users
here have the mailAlternateAddress field in LDAP populated with all
their firstname.lastname, initial.lastname and nickname email aliases,
and sometimes set their mail clients to identify as these, causing their
posts to be held or rejected.  It would be nice if mailman could either
query a specified location for alternate identities, or accept a
generated list of them for the current membership list.

It seems problematic to wedge a list of alternate addresses into
accept_these_nonmembers, as we would never be entirely sure if someone
had unsubscribed from the list but been administratively allowed to post
to it, and I'm sure it will confuse the list administrators who have to
keep both alternate addresses and non-members in the same text box.

I see 3.0 has support for LDAP and other forms of back-end database, so
I was wondering if support for mailAlternateAddress would be part of
that new feature-set?  If not, may I request it?

Thanks,
Simon.