[Mailman-Developers] mm-handler 2.1.10(was:beforenextrelease:disable backscatter in default installation)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 29 21:30:32 CET 2008

David Champion wrote:

>Correct.  But as previously noted, syslog might not log anything at all
>on some systems -- that's why mm-handler didn't use it originally.  And
>this is debugging code, not meant for live environments....

True, but Kenneth added additional logging beyond the debuging code.

Also, There are two perl modules, Sys::Syslog and Unix::Syslog. I'm not
very familiar with perl and it's various modules, so I may be wrong,
but I think that Sys::Syslog is the more common, but Kenneth is using
Unix::Syslog. According to the FAQ at
<http://search.cpan.org/~mharnisch/Unix-Syslog-0.100/Syslog.pm>,
Unix::Syslog requires syslogd to be running on the local host, but
given that, it doesn't communicate with syslogd through a network
connection so it is not subject to the problems with that.