[Mailman-Developers] mm-handler 2.1.10 (was: beforenextrelease:disable backscatter in default installation)

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Sat Mar 29 17:28:42 CET 2008

> I don't have any preference. My version does depend on the presence of the
> syslog module, and I don't know how commonly-installed that is. But I don't
> know under what systems the debugging to stderr is supposed to work. Is
> that a Sun thing?

IIRC stderr is captured by sendmail and logged in the bounce message,
but admittedly if you're not bouncing that's a problem.

I'd case out the syslog dependency, and use it only when available.
Last I looked, Perl's syslog module was... limited.  It doesn't even
work at all on some platforms -- something about trying to UDP to the
local syslogd instead of using syslog(3) through libc.  So it's more
portable to system out a call to logger(1) if you need syslogging and
can afford a fork/exec.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu    NSIT    University of Chicago