[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Mar 29 05:08:14 CET 2008

Cristóbal Palmer writes:

 > Back in January I told our 500+ list admins that they could do this:
 >
 >   http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/ibiblio-announce/2008-January/000210.html
 >
 > And as of yesterday (27 of March) fewer than 20 had done
 > anything. Yesterday I ran a script that imposed that filtering on all
 > lists because we have been blacklisted by spamcop yet again. The
 > message we were blacklisted for had been tagged as spam by SA on the
 > list server, but still got bounced out to an innocent 3rd party (who
 > then reported us).

Why not just enforce this in SpamAssassin?

If you've got lists that require special treatment and have
trustworthy admins, get a plan from them and then add a rule that
gives them a -5 or -10 bonus so that only really egregious spam gets
automatically discarded, and the rest gets handled by the list-
specific mechanism.

You could also enable the per-address configs in SA itself.

I don't see anything in this story that couldn't be done just as well
with central control via SA at the MTA.