[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatterindefault installation

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Sat Mar 29 03:23:11 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 01:18 +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > blacklists
> > are under control of the operators of the lists who guarantee no due
> > process and are accountable to no one.
>
> Who says that benevolent-dictator blacklists cannot be an effective
> response to the spam prolem?
>
> And of course it is untrue that these benevolent dictators are accountable
> to no one.  They are accountable to the users of their blacklists.

Absolutely!  I use a mix of 6 advisroy blacklists on my mail server.
For my personal account, these stop about 80% of the spam sent to me,
and probably a similar percentage for my customers and my mailing lists.
I haven't had a complaint about a false positive from these blacklists
in well over a year.  The last time I got such a report was on an IP
address blocked because it was listed by Spamcop - one of several false
positives from this source.  I dropped Spamcop from the mix and have had
no such problems since then.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "In an open world,    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    who needs Windows  |      available at