[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Fri Mar 28 04:19:27 CET 2008

On 27-Mar-08, at 2:37 PM, Martin Schütte wrote:
> P.S.: I hope this mail did not become too negative. I am always in
> favour of better and more user friendly spam filters. But there are
> quite a lot of spam-related patches already and any new approach
> should
> be clearly better than the already existing hooks and functions.
> Otherwise it is just a waste of time which should be used for other
> problems (MM3 comes to mind).

Choosing the best of from existing spam-related packages and
integrating them into the main development tree actually sounds about
perfect for a Google summer of code project, IMO.  As does taking all
the existing methods for handling things (as you described) and
putting a good interface on them that makes it easier for people to
use and realise that these things can be done.

It's easy for *us* to say "well, of course, you can already do that!"
but many list admins and even site admins are not aware that these
things can be done, and perhaps wouldn't even think to do them.  If
there was a big "spam management" section in the admin interface,
it'd make a lot of people happy.  Even just a simple "discard as
spam" option which (a) discarded the message (b) saved it somewhere,
ran a trainer on it, then deleted it (or not, but these things pile
up) would be a useful change to many people.

I don't think it's a waste of time at all to make it easier for
people to use existing hooks and functions.  And I think a lot of the
reason we haven't integrated the existing spam-related patches is
just that no one's had the time to look through them all and figure
out which ones are the best and/or what elements we want from each of
them.  Again, I think doing so would be quite the worthwhile endeavour.

Not all development has to be innovative research!  :)

  Terri