[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Mar 27 17:59:48 CET 2008

On 27-Mar-08, at 12:35 PM, Jason Pruim wrote:
> One thing that I've been thinking about in regards to this... Is this
> job the responsibility of mailman? To scan for spam and other such
> things?
>
> I do all of my scanning at the front end, all e-mail gets run through
> ASSP to scan blacklists, grey list, etc. etc. then it goes to the MTA,
> which in my case just verifies the account exists (Or an alias for it
> does) and then is delivered to mailman for delivery...
>
> Why not run something like that instead of checking for all that stuff
> just before the delivery?

Even if it's not Mailman's responsibility to do the scanning, it can
be incredibly helpful to make the mailman interface aware of and able
to interact with scanning technologies.  ie - using messages
discarded as spam for retraining the system, letting list admins
customize the behaviour for some lists (or -owner addresses) based on
lower or higher threshold values than the server itself uses, maybe
having a way to "discard this spam for all lists" or "flag this as
spam for other list admins" in the case of messages being sent to
multiple lists at once...

  Terri