[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Mar 27 17:29:21 CET 2008

Timo Wingender wrote:
> Discard messages from nonmembers is no option on most lists.

AFAIK it is an option, but not the default and defaults are rarely
changed in my experience.

> The first action is to integrate support for SpamAssassin in
> Mailman. Therefor I wrote a python class spamc which connects to spamd.
> This gives the possibility to scan all incoming Mail.

Entirely my opinion, but I suspect that this will be harder to do and
less portable than having a mailman front-end that recognizes the
headers inserted by the major spam gateways.

For example, the sites I am aware of run amavisd+SA in front of mailman.
  They aren't going to disable amavis to have mailman run SA directly.
Nor are sites with barrucudas likely to do so, etc etc.  My opinion
entirely, but I think it would be better to make mailman aware of the
headers inserted by these solutions.

Again, just my opinion.

--
Jo Rhett
Net Consonance ... net philanthropy, open source and other randomness