[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Thu Mar 27 10:27:54 CET 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> But for various reasons many organizations publish wide-open SPF
> records, and right or wrong those people will still report
> backscatter to the blacklists.

This is the first time I hear of this being a widespread problem.  Can you
please contact me off-list and give me some details on which organiza-
tions do that?  Perhaps the SPF project has to take them aside and have a
friendly word or two with them.

In any case, this can be considered an abuse of the blacklists being
reported to.  For example, the SpamCop blacklist explicitly asks spam
submitters to publish SPF records if they receive backscatter, so it is
obvious that they aren't supposed to submit bounces as spam that are
"legitimate" according to a published SPF record of theirs.