[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatterin default installation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Mar 26 02:33:08 CET 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Jason Pruim wrote:
> But how would you scale that to the size of say... yahoo? Multiple
> data centers around the world, all processing mail for different
> domains under yahoo's control... How would one be able to synchronize
> all that data from tons of different places like that?

Your disbelief has no relevance.  Yahoo does do it.

More to the point, I solved this problem for the Navy.  2.5 MILLION e-
mail accounts, and they needed to stop accepting e-mail for accounts
which didn't exist.

To put this in perspective, I did this on a 386/25 processor with 16
megabytes of main memory in 1992.

It's not a hard problem, and *every* modern mail system handles this
properly.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness