[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 18 03:28:41 CET 2008

Sorry for not replying to this sooner, but I was busy and then it got
buried.

Jo Rhett wrote:

| On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
|
|> Even if we wanted to do this, it is non-trivial. All confirmation
|> messages and their templates and translations would have to be changed
|> to remove references to confirmation by email.
|
| Text changes are trivial.  Code changes require work/testing/etc.

Well, yes and no. A code change is work, but I can unit test it,
integration test it and expose it by installing it on my production
server. I can do this on my own and on my own schedule.

A text change breaks 35 existing Mailman translations, and breaks them
to the extent that changing a single character in the English text,
causes that text to be rendered in English on the translated page. This
requires 35 translators or translation teams to update their
translations. This is anything but trivial.

|> Do you object to any response at all, or just to responses that
|> include
|> the original message text?
|
| Any response sent to an innocent victim of forgery.
|
|> If the former, then you must object to DSNs
|> from MTAs as well. If the latter, that is planned to be addressed in
|> Mailman 2.2.
|
| Of course we object to DSNs from MTAs.  No shipping mailserver
| currently sends DSNs to accepted mail by default.  Most of them
| haven't for like 10 years.  And yes, we absolutely ban qmail from use
| unless the person patches it to the moon to solve its problems.

I'm not talking about DSNs to non-accepted mail. I'm talking about a
message that is accepted by an MX, queued and later rejected by the
ultimate destination. When the MX gets the reject from the destination,
does it say "oops, I screwed up, I never should have accepted and queued
this message" and just drop it, or does it return a DSN.

Does this make sense, or am I stuck in the 20th century?

- --