[Mailman-Developers] before nextrelease: disable backscatter indefault installation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 11 06:02:41 CET 2008

Kenneth Porter wrote:

>--On Friday, March 07, 2008 4:31 PM -0800 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
>wrote:
>
>> I changed the last part. Take a look. Note that sitelist.cfg is
>> irrelevant. It is intended to be used as input to bin/config_list to
>> configure the site list ('mailman' list) more appropriately than the
>> default settings. It has no actual effect on any list unless you run
>> bin/config_list on that list with sitelist.cfg as input.
>
>The new text says to change generic_nonmember_action but not where to
>change it.

Privacy options -> Sender filters

>I see it in /var/lib/mailman/data/sitelist.cfg which I believe
>is site-wide and probably suffers the same issue.

As I tried to point out in what you quote above, data/sitelist.cfg has
absolutely no effect on anything unless you run bin/config_list on a
particular list with that file as input.

>I haven't yet found it in
>the web interface. (It might be nice if the web interface included an "all
>settings" page, or at least an index of settings so one could then go to
>the specific page with that setting.)

Yes, there should be a TOC or index in the docs for all settings, and
having it on a page in the web interface is a good idea too.

>Ideally I should be able to change it in a text file or otherwise with a
>shell utility, so that I can bulk-change the setting in all lists I manage
>with a script.

You can do the following to set generic_nonmember_action to discard for
every list:

#!/bin/bash
cd /path/to/mailman/bin
f=`mktemp`
echo generic_nonmember_action = 3 > $f
for list in `./list_lists --bare`
do ./config-list -i $f $list
done
rm $f

I.e. you can configure a list with text input to config_list containing
only those settings you want to change.

Maybe you can come up with some good text to add to the wiki page.