[Mailman-Developers] Documentation status?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Mar 10 16:41:17 CET 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 1:03 PM, A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:49:08AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> I think the GFDL would probably be more appropriate:
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#FDL
>> I'm not as well versed on this license; what do people think about
>> that?
>
> The major issue with the GFDL is that for a while, Debian considered
> it to be a non-free license.  I think the current status is that
> Debian now considers GFDL-licensed docs with no unmodifiable sections
> to be free, so we shouldn't have any such sections.
>
> (This is going by http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#outcome ;
> is anyone here a Debian developer and know if that's the latest
> status?)

I asked an Ubuntu guy at Canonical to see if I can get a definitive
answer about this.  You're right to point to this vote as the
definitive answer, but I was told to look specifically at Amendment A
for details and a note on dual-licensing.

If Debian is still recommending dual licensing even with GFDL and no
unmodifiable sections, then it seems to me not worth the effort.  If
it makes sense to keep our documentation GPL'd, then let's just do that.

> Terri Oda wrote:
>>> information... all should be in one place.  I was trying to explain
>>> to one of my department sysadmins where to find mailman help, and it
>>> was *embarrassing* when I started listing off the docs I wrote, the
>>> FAQ Wizard, the mailing lists, the help files included with the
>
> Yes, we definitely need to clean up on that respect.  For example:
>
>  * Are bugs kept in Jira or on SourceForge?
>    (http://www.list.org/bugs.html says there's a transition going
>    on.)

Right now they're still in SF, but I've wanted to move them for a long
time.  Moving to Jira requires work that someone at Atlassian offered
to do once, but neither he nor I have had the time since.  We could
move to Launchpad's tracker because I believe it supports SF imports.
We could try to put up our own Roundup instance, but I'm wary of doing
anything that /we/ have to babysit.  I'm still open to moving to Jira,
but sadly don't have to the time to convert the SF data dump (or even
be sure it's finally complete an accurate. :/).

>  * http://www.list.org/{docs,admins,users,...}.html would need to be
>    updated.

Easy peasy.

>  * The README says Python 2.1 or later is required, but it looks like
>    Python 2.3 is actually needed these days.

Yep.  Mark, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe 2.1.10
restores Python 2.1 compatibility.  Not that I care!  Python 2.3 would
be fine as a minimum requirement AFAIC.

> I've created a
>    Launchpad branch, small-fixes, with some updates to the docs.
>    This branch could be merged into 2.1 at any time, once someone has
>    proofread my changes.

This is the branch, right Andrew?

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~amk/mailman/small-fixes

I'll take a look tonight unless Mark beats me to it.
-Barry