[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Mar 7 00:35:54 CET 2008

On Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:02 PM -0600 David Champion <dgc at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Here is an update to mm-handler which might address this adequately.  I
> no longer use mm-handler myself (despite having written it), so I can't
> test this short of installing a new Mailman instance.  Can someone on
> the list test it?
>
>   http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mailman/mm-handler/mm-handler-2.10
>
> Since it's contrib and not supported, maybe it would be reasonable to
> put the update into the 2.1.10 release -- provided someone can declare
> that it works. :)  Otherwise feel free to post it on the wiki.

I'll give it a shot.

Question about the backscatter settings:

# Prevent backscatter for unapproved actions?
$BounceUnapproved = 0;

# Prevent backscatter for undefined lists?
$BounceNonlist = 1;

The comment seems to be logically backwards from the variable name. Should
it really read "allow", not "prevent"? Does 0 or 1 mean backscatter?