[Mailman-Developers] 1-click unsubscribe

Aaron Crosman ACrosman at afsc.org
Thu Mar 6 19:02:00 CET 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman-developers-bounces+acrosman=afsc.org at python.org
[mailto:mailman-developers-bounces+acrosman=afsc.org at python.org] On
Behalf Of Ian Eiloart
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:51 PM
To: Barry Warsaw; Dan MacNeil
Cc: Mailman Developers; Stephen J. Turnbull

<snip>
A note on unsubscription: I manage a few lists for small voluntary
organisations, and for us it is REALLY important to be able to avoid
re-subscribing someone who has unsubscribed themselves. Therefore, it
would
be better to set their preferences to no-mail, rather than simply delete

their records. Also useful to record the date and the fact that it was
the
subscriber who opted out.

A note on small organisations: we have members that don't have email. It

would be great to be able to record their postal addresses in some form
that could easily be printed to envelope labels. Or, their phone
numbers.
So that they can also be notified of important events. This would be
incredibly useful to small community organisations.

</snip>

Sounds like what you're describing is a more complete CRM.  Personally,
I don't think Mailman should head in that direction, there are perfectly
good CRM's for NPO's out there (like CiviCRM).  I'd like to see Mailman
improve support for newsletter style setups, which is sounds like is
gaining momentum, but getting into full address information should be
left to proper CRM solutions.  It would be a long time until Mailman
could do the other functions of a CRM well-enough for them to be a good
idea for anyone to use.

Aaron