[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter indefault installation

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Mar 5 06:27:06 CET 2008

Cristóbal Palmer writes:

 > Even without the original message text a response is a problem.

I agree -- the addresses are too easy to compute and do end up in
lists that are sold -- and would support consideration of changing the
defaults as proposed.

But not for 2.1.10.  Changing 2.1.10 is dumb software engineering and
hysterical policy.

You see, as Jo Rhett points out (apparently without understanding), it
will have *no noticable effect* in the short run because *the proposed
change won't affect existing Mailman installations*, not even those
that upgrade to 2.1.10.

So the right thing to do is to get 2.1.10 out the door as is, and get
started on 2.2.  Then you can even discuss shutting off the feature
in *existing* installations and requiring admins of *existing*
installations to reactivate the feature if they want it.[1]  That
would very likely have noticeable effect *much sooner* than the change
proposed for 2.1.10, and would be much less disruptive.

Footnotes:
[1]  Indeed, I think that makes sense, but I have no intention of
participating in discussion until after release of 21.1.10.