[Mailman-Developers] 1-click unsubscribe

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 3 02:31:46 CET 2008

Dan MacNeil wrote:

>The subscribers to these lists are generally not very computer
>friendly. Because the current unsubscribe process take 5 steps:
>
>	1) Click
>	2) enter email
>	3) click submit
>	4) read email
>	5) reply to email
>
>...a lot of subscribers to these lists click the "this is spam"
>button in hotmail, aol , yahoo, gmail or whatever.

I hear what you're saying, and I'm not trying to avoid your request,
but I want to point out that if you are willing to set personalize to
Yes, which you would have to do anyway for a 1-click unsubscribe, you
can collapse steps 1-3 above into 1 with something like

Unsubscribe: %(user_optionsurl)s?login-unsub

in msg_header or msg_footer, although this may be more confusing than
just

Unsubscribe: %(user_optionsurl)s

because the former takes one to the the same page as the latter, but
with the addition of "The confirmation email has been sent." at the
top, but it is just one click to get to step 4.

The latter collapses steps 1 and 2 into 1 and is what is currently done
on this list and I think all the python.org lists, at least for
'message' subscribers (personalization is not currently implemented
for digests). So my question is are you a 'message' subscriber, and
have you noticed this footer?

Then my next question is do you have experience with lists that do
implement a 1-click unsubscribe, and do you find it actually works? My
experience (see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2005-February/017851.html>)
is that it doesn't work well, but I'm willing to listen to other input.