[Mailman-Developers] Web UI

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Jun 19 22:02:33 CEST 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Terri Oda wrote:

> A few days ago, a discussion of Mailman's web UI started on mailman-
> users: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/msg49681.html
>
> Since this is more of a development effort than a users issue, we're
> moving continued discussion here.

Thanks for doing so Terri!

> I'll kick off the thread by answering a question:
>
>> But how easy is it to actually improve the web UI?
>
> Not very.  Not only is it tightly integrated, but any text change
> will have to go through all the many translators for various
> languages.  And then there's accessibility concerns, issues
> regarding any extra install requirements we might want to add (eg
> for templating systems), and the basic problem of building an
> interface that appeals to a rather large array of people... Changing
> the web UI is a big pain.
>
> That said, I think this is a worthwhile endeavour, and we had
> previous discussed an improved web UI being a good goal for a 2.2
> release (we'll also need new UI for mm3, of course).  Just don't
> expect it to happen tomorrow or be a cakewalk.  This is not a
> project to take on lightly.

All great points.

A couple of comments.  First, we're /somehow/ going to ease the
translator problem.  This won't eliminate the problem, but I hope by
bring up a Pootle server or adopting a FLOSS translation service we'll
make it easier to get our interfaces translated.

Second, architecturally I really want to split the u/i so that it's
not so tightly integrated.  Maki and Andrew are working on a
privileged REST api to Mailman for controlling it in 2.2 and 3.0.  It
is against this REST api that we should write the u/i, and it's my
hope that we can design this API to be quite similar between the two
branches.

> I've started up a wiki page here for us to capture ideas for an
> improved web UI:
>
> http://wiki.list.org/x/RoBE
>

> and being the self-interested person that I am, I'm going to try to
> generate some thoughts on my own idea here first ;)
>
> I think we could benefit a fair bit from having a "simple" and an
> "expert" interface for the list administrators.  I had a number of
> replies both on and off list saying "yes!  please!" so I take it I'm
> not the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

Here's my +1 :)
- -Barry