[Mailman-Developers] How To change queue process method

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 3 20:51:31 CEST 2008

Maickel Pandie wrote:

>I had research about how fast MTA (postfix) can deliver a lot of email
>from mailman.
>The one that I want to change is queue process method from FIFO to
>size based(sum of domain in the list x size of email),
>I have a list that contain the sum of domain each mailing list.
>I want Mailman prefer sending email that have less domain destination
>and small size of email.
>
>Can you tell me what file I have to edit so mailman can decide what
>email is thrown to postfix first?

You would need to modify the Switchboard.files() method in module
Mailman/Queue/Switchboard.py.

Think hard before you move away from FIFO queue processing. If your out
queue is not backlogged, it will essentially be processed FIFO in any
case because each time you look there will only be one or two entries
to process. If it is backlogged and you process in any but FIFO order,
you run the risk of leaving non-preferred entries unprocessed for very
long times.

Also, your specific strategy would penalize larger (perhaps more
popular) lists by delaying posts to those lists in favor of those to
smaller (perhaps obscure) lists. Is this really what you want to do?