[Mailman-Developers] New unofficial LMTP branch

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 16:28:04 CEST 2008

--On 22 July 2008 14:12:09 +0100 Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

> We discovered that advertising PIPELINING causes the test smtp client to
> fail, but we've not even thought about how to fix that - LMTP clients
> which are re-implementations of SMTP clients might just live with the
> fact that PIPELINING isn't advertised.

Actually, it looks like this isn't a real problem. The LMTP Channel raises
an error if the client disconnects before getting all the Channel's output.
But, once the client has gone away, the Channel has no purpose anyway.
Hopefully, it will discard any message that it has to avoid message
duplication - this remains to be tested. The LMTP listener survives all
this, and so I think we are in fact safe to advertise PIPELINING. Hooray!

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex