[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 lmtp queue runners

William Mead william.multimedia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:59:59 CEST 2008

Hello fellow Mailman developers,

My name is William Mead, I'm a new Mailman developer and currently as
an intern for Ian Elioart at the university of Sussex.

We have started working on Mailman 3.0. At the moment we are looking
at the lmtp part of Mailman, however we have come up against a few
problems. We are able to get all the queue runners started except for
the lmtp queue runner. We have set lmtp to be used in the Defaults.py
file, but this doesn't start the lmtp queue runner.

We are currently looking at the lmtp.txt file in
3.0/Mailman/queue/docs. To start a lmtp queue runner we need to be
able to run these 3 lines of code :

>>> from mailman.tests import helper
>>> master = helpers.TestableMaster()
>>> master.start('lmtp')

However the second line of code gives us an error and prevents us from
starting the lmtp runner.

The python code contained in this file produces errors when trying to
doctest it. Once we've run the doctest :

>>> import doctest
>>> doctest.testfile("lmtp.txt")

here is the first error :

File "./lmtp.txt", line 14, in lmtp.txt
Failed example:
    master = helpers.TestableMaster()
Exception raised:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/doctest.py",
line 1212, in __run
      File "<doctest lmtp.txt[1]>", line 1, in <module>
        master = helpers.TestableMaster()
      File "/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/mailman-3.0.0a1_-py2.5.egg/mailman/tests/helpers.py",
line 114, in __init__
        restartable=False, config_file=config.filename)
    AttributeError: 'Configuration' object has no attribute 'filename'

which correctly corresponds to the second line of code needed, we saw earlier.

Do we have to import any other files or set any specific variables ?

William Mead.