[Mailman-Developers] Important Mailman 2.1.9 to 2.1.10 upgradenote.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 22 20:44:05 CEST 2008

Bob Puff at NLE wrote:

>+1 on the auto-delete.  I have a lot of boxes running Mailman that I periodically have to go into to
>clean out stuff, and having more junk pile up, while helpful for debugging, isn't great for production.

>David Lee wrote:
>>
>> If this is deemed "Important" (for anyone upgrading over the next year or
>> more), and if this cleaning process is well-defined and capable of
>> mechanisation, then might it be worth superseding 2.1.10 with a "2.1.10a"
>> (or 2.1.11 or whatever nomeclature is appropriate) that automatically does
>> this cleaning?

I think this is a good idea. If I had remembered about the unparseable
.bak files, and thought it through, I could have added code to
bin/update to remove them, and I still can for a fix-up release.

Also, In another thread, Barry asked for feedback on "some kind of
shunt queue culler cron script". I think this is a good idea, either
for a separate cron, or incorporated into one of the existing crons.

How about something like a couple of Default config settings like

BAD_SHUNT_ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY = None
BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER = days(7)

With the idea being anything in the 'bad' or 'shunt' queues older than
BAD_SHUNT_STALE_AFTER would be discarded or moved to
BAD_SHUNT_ARCHIVE_DIRECTORY if it existed.

Do people like this idea?