[Mailman-Developers] LMTP delivery (was Re: ANNOUNCE: GNU Mailman 3.0a1 (Leave That Thing Alone))

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 14 19:19:17 CEST 2008

> Okay.  BTW, wouldn't you think that the majority of messages sent to a
> Mailman list will have exactly one RCPT?  Cross-posting is relatively
> rare for most sites, isn't it?

Just another data point: I don't have experience at most sites, but here
cross-posting is extremely common.

For example, we have hundreds of lists just for different staff
cross-sections, and hundreds for student interest groups with some
common themes among them.  If someone wants to address people in two
different working groups who are collaborating on a short project, their
mail will quite likely go to each of those groups.  It's not worth
creating a new list for the few days that the project requires.

Another very common use case: one student group puts on an art show, and
they want to call the attention of other student groups who have an arty
focus.  That announcement might go to 20 lists.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu    NSIT    University of Chicago