[Mailman-Developers] LMTP delivery (was Re: ANNOUNCE: GNU Mailman 3.0a1 (Leave That Thing Alone))

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 16:44:40 CEST 2008

--On 14 April 2008 09:20:43 -0400 Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>> --On 12 April 2008 11:18:09 -0400 Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> So you mean that most SMTPd's will have accepted the message by
>>> they time
>>> they issue the DATA to the LMTP?
>>
>> Exim will have, almost certainly.
>
> Okay.  BTW, wouldn't you think that the majority of messages sent to a
> Mailman list will have exactly one RCPT?  Cross-posting is relatively
> rare for most sites, isn't it?

Check the headers of this message! Two recipients.

OK, that might be OK if python.org and list.org are handled by different
servers. On our site, though, we have thousands of users and hundreds of
lists in the same domain. Most of our list members are in that same domain.
So, replies to list messages will frequently have more than one RCPT.

Oh, and we make extensive use of umbrella lists, which might also make a
difference. In fact, we have a complex heirarchy of lists which we'd like
to develop further.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex