[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request: an improvement to approve-by-email

Justin Long justinlong at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 05:16:35 CEST 2008

Greetings,

My name is Justin Long, and I manage the website www.strategicnetwork.org.
We recently migrated to postfix/mailman from qmail/ezmlm because postfix had
better anti-spam features and qmail/ezmlm simply hadn't been updated in a
long while. We have about 400+ lists with about 160,000 subscribers. I've
been very pleased so far with mailman's performance and utility (although
admittedly the web interface leaves much to be desired--grin)

One thing I have noticed that I would like to suggest for a fix. When a post
comes into a moderated list, the bounce goes to the -owner address. It comes
with an email attachment that contains a confirmation code in the subject
line. This works great in an email client like Outlook. I, however, use
gmail as my primary email source, and the confirmation code comes in a
message buried in the message, not in the subject line.

Of course, if I hit "reply" it doesn't go to -requests. I think it either
goes to -bounce or -owner. In any event, it's not a simply reply-and-send
like it was in ezmlm.

So some suggestions:

1. Have the bounce message come to the owner from the -response address, for
easy reply

2. Don't require the confirmation code to be in the subject line

3. Why is the password required? I can sort of see this, and I don't mind it
too much, but wouldn't it be better to have perhaps an -approve and -reject
email address that can be clicked as a link? (not a web address but an email
address?) or something simple that doesn't require my remembering or typing
in the password?

I wouldn't mind #3 so much if #1 and #2 were fixed, so that all I have to do
is hit REPLY and type in "Approved: " and the password. As it is, in gmail,
I have to forward the email to the -response address, find-cut-paste the
confirmation code, and then type the address line.

This is a big deal for many of our members who are in significantly low
bandwidth situations or in places where they do not have web access, and
must moderate everything by email...

Cordially,
Justin Long

--
Never retreat. Never surrender. Never cut a deal with a dragon.
-------
Justin Long / justinlong at gmail.com
http://www.strategicnetwork.org - 120,000 subscribers, 16,000 articles
http://www.momentum-mag.org - bi-monthly magazine on unreached peoples
http://www.momentum-mag.org/wiki - Missiopedia of Christian missions
MSNIM justinlong at strategicnetwork.org / Skype nsmjustinlong
-------
We help people build 6 things: Drive, Energy, Effort, Inspiration, Power,
Strength
-------
No armor? Unclean life? Then do not mess in the affairs of dragons,