[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Apr 3 07:28:55 CEST 2008

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > On Mar 29, 2008, at 11:17 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > > For this reason I am looking forward to a way to issue SMTP rejects
 > > based on content.  Eg, for sendmail and postfix, this could be
 > > implemented via a Mailman-provided milter.
 >
 > What about the Mailman 3 LMTP server?  I plan on backporting this to
 > 2.2.

I don't see how that works.  Do SMTP MTAs typically initiate an LMTP
session before accepting mail from remote hosts?  If they don't, then
you don't get any extra leverage on the backscatter problem.

 > > Unfortunately, tuning list settings that have to do with filtering is
 > > not and never really was something that you want people who have never
 > > even set up an MTA to do.  Understanding what happens is quite
 > > complex.
 >
 > The solution in Mailman 3 will be to allow for defining named styles.

That's half the solution.  The other half is providing means and
encouragement for good ones to end up in a contrib directory. :-)

 > A style is simply a collection of some subset of all the configuration
 > variables on a mailing list.

And these cascade, right?