[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Apr 1 03:11:17 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote, On 03/31/2008 06:26 PM:
> So what do I do practically in this case. Calling out to verify the
> recipient won't help because the recipient is valid.

I think that we - admins and developers - have to realize that times are
changing.

Once upon a time when the RFCs were written then mail was asynchronous
store-and-forward. MTAs accepted mails before being 100% certain that
they could and would deliver them, and as soon as the mail had hit the
disk then the receiving MTA took over delivery responsibility from the
sending MTA.

In such a scenario Mailman "is just" a MTA with bouncing/holding
filtering and dynamic alias expansion of envelope-rcpt and replacement
of envelope-from with a robot address.

But now in modern times all mail handling has to be synchronous. Spam
and virus and backscatter does that a MTA should never take
responsibility for anything from an untrusted sender before the mail has
actually been taken fully care of by someone - perhaps just by making it
the problem of the next MTA/MDA. Yes, doing this all the way to the
final mailboxes might be more expensive than the old way of doing it -
but at the same time the same amount of work (or less?) has to be done,
so it can't be that bad ... except for the number of live connections. I
think that the RFCs allows fully synchronous mail handling, they just
have to be used another way than they usually are today.

In Marks specific case in this scenario: The verification phase has been
replaced by actually doing the delivery all the way to the final
recipients, so the recipient ending up being invalid will be handled
properly.

In this scenario Mailman is a MTA which decouples the synchronous chain.
Mails are accepted and enqueued by Mailman iff responsibility is taken,
either for immediate delivery or manual review - all other mails are
rejected. All filtering thus has to be done synchronously. Delivery to
list members is a separate process where target mail hosts probably will
provide synchronous delivery status feedback (perhaps as DSN bounces
from a trusting "real" MTA) (and if other mail hosts chooses to accept
and then bounce later then they have a problem, but Mailman can still
handle receiving bounces).

Lots of details are missing in this description. But do you agree that
this is the direction we have to take as developers and admins?

/Mads

ps: This might be a bad description of trivial observation, but it
suddenly made sense to me and I wanted to share it, even though I'm
mostly a lurker on this list. Take it or leave it ;-)