[Mailman-Developers] Improving the archives

Jeff Breidenbach jeff at jab.org
Wed Oct 3 08:48:59 CEST 2007

Question: what about crossposted messages?

Let's say a message gets sent to a list called mailman-developers
with a CC to a list called pet-bunnies. Hypothetically, of course.
Presumably, the person who got the message from pet-bunnies
should probably end up at the pet-bunnies archive, where the
message can be viewed in proper context; right before the
processed carrots flamewar and after the manifesto on proper
hopping technique. To make that work, I think we need some
way to - at least optionally - allow one or more of the RFC 2369
headers to influence the archival URL. Reading the wiki, I guess
that's where List-Archive comes into play?

My other question is about the angle brackets. Barry, why are
you inclined to include them in calculations? It's kind of arbitrary,
but quoting RFC 2822, end of section 3.6.4:

   Semantically, the angle bracket characters are not part of the
   msg-id; the msg-id is what is contained between the two angle bracket
   characters.