[Mailman-Developers] Should we move to Bazaar?

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu May 3 20:06:52 CEST 2007

Barry Warsaw wrote, On 05/03/2007 05:16 PM:
> Alioth is for Debian only, right?  Would they host Mercurial branches
> for other FLOSS software like Mailman?  If we go with Mercurial,
> we'll need someone reliable to host the official branches.  I
> certainly don't want to do that myself!  Is there a Mercurial
> equivalent to SF for cvs and svn, or Launchpad for bzr?

Mr Mercurial might soon come up with an alternative:
http://marc.info/?l=mercurial&m=117753118122082

and
John Dennis wrote, On 05/03/2007 04:37 PM:
> What is not good for developers is the current fracturing. Projects have
> selected different SCM's requiring developers to become familiar with
> each of them. If one wants to be productive for better or worse there is
> a significant learning curve. I'm already seeing issues where
> cooperating organizations can no longer work together because they no
> longer can manipulate their partner's SCM, or worse have invested
> heavily in tools which only work with a particular SCM (e.g. CVS).
> Eventually this will sort itself out as one or two SCM's generate enough
> gravity to cause convergence. But in the meantime this fracturing is
> producing barriers to productivity.

I think there is a trend in the direction that conversion between SCMs
can be done trivially on the fly, so that you can use whatever SCM you
like and still be able to work with upstream whatever SCM they use.

/Mads