[Mailman-Developers] Should we move to Bazaar?

Fil fil at rezo.net
Thu May 3 17:37:29 CEST 2007

> write privileges are
> a big sticking point for community participation in code development,
> to which I agree.  However, he also concluded that dvcs's are /bad/
> for open source because they encourage private branches, and
> everything should be done in the open.

My own experience with SPIP (www.spip.net, a project now 7 years old
and that I "guide") is that there was a lot a frustration when we had
a 3-devs SVN system. The "big guys" spent time evaluating (and
rejecting) proposals that were not "good enough".

Two years ago we opened a secondary SVN server, named "spip-zone",
with a motto of "anything that's free software and relates to SPIP".
It now has 150+ devs and thousands of projects positively blossom (to
quote Chairman Mao).

This has been a place where shy developers have been more able to
express themselves, and now the "core" team has expanded, integrating
some of these developers. But most surely the "core" is more focused,
and frustration has almost disappeared.

-- Fil