[Mailman-Developers] Should we move to Bazaar?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu May 3 00:37:18 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 18:09 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think this is a good time to ask whether we should move from
> Subversion to Bazaar <http://www.bazaar-vcs.org> for our source code
> revision control system.

> Bazaar is a distributed version control system.  This is really the
> crucial different between centralized systems such as Subversion and
> CVS

I'm all for distributed SCM's, using a distributed SCM is a good move.
Internally here there is a *lot* of interest in switching from CVS to a
distributed SCM. The big question is not whether to switch to a
distributed SCM but which one. Out of the many options two seem to have
bubbled to the top as true contenders, GIT and Mercurial.

Mercurial is also written in Python. It seems to be in wide use, it
seems to stable, and other projects support it as an SCM (e.g. Trac,
another popular Python project). I've used Mercurial now for about 5
months and it has worked well. FWIW we have other projects also using
Mercurial.

I'll confess I'm not familiar with Bazaar and what it has to offer, it
may be the optimal choice, but I'm wondering, have you given Mercurial
serious consideration?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit San Diego  |  May 9-11, 2007
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007