[Mailman-Developers] Advanced Reply-To-Munging

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 15 17:19:14 CET 2007

Sven Anderson writes:

 > Stephen J. Turnbull, 11.03.2007 19:34:
 > > Sven Anderson writes:
 > >
 > >  > There is no RFC-way to set the default address for replies.
 > >
 > > Of course there is.  For authors, it's Reply-To.  For lists, it's
 > > List-Post.
 >
 > No, it's not. What I was referring here as the "default address" (and I
 > hoped this was clear) was the address, which is used by the normal reply
 > button/function of the MUA. There is no way to define a default adressee
 > for that function, it is always hardwired to the From header, which can be
 > overridden by a Reply-To header.

Let me note that that's false for all of the dozen or so different
(Emacs-based, so not usable for the masses, but proof of concept) MUAs
I've used over the last 15 years.

What you're missing is that the best-practice-based RFCs *presume*
your point.  *There is no way to force the recipient's MUA to do
anything.*  Therefore, the RFC headers under discussion are intended
to provide ways for *authors* and other agents (mailing lists) to
*express* their wishes.  The use of Reply-munging, and even more the
other changes you propose, subvert this expression, so that
well-designed conforming MUAs do not (and if you remove the author's
reply-to entirely, *cannot*) do what is expected by their users.

Here's a good (bad?) example:

 > That's why my proposal replaces the From by an author-set Reply-To
 > whenever it is used.

Which is again a non-conforming use of the originator headers.  From
is *not* Reply-To, it identifies the author of the message.  So you've
broken Reply-To, it no longers tells where the author wants replies
sent as it's supposed to.  Now you break From, too!  Like this:

Suppose that because I'm traveling, I set my reply-to to
careof at somewhere.net.  Then my headers will look like: